The Wee Binnian Hillwalkers normally walk every second and fourth Sunday starting at 10.30am to around 4.00pm.
The walks involve climbing mountains of 600 metres (2000 feet) or more in height. A good level of fitness is required as none of our walks can be regarded as suitable for beginners to hill walking. Please refer to our FAQs and our Fitness sections.
Very limited parking is available in most mountain car parks therefore the Club asks that all members share lifts where possible. One way of doing this is via our Facebook page. We are in process of reviewing the car pool pick up points so please e-mail email@example.com if you would like to share details of your car pool pick up point.
Please note that our leaders are volunteers who pay the same membership fee and who give of their expertise and time for the benefit, enjoyment and safety of all in the club. Walkers are asked to cooperate with the leaders and to accept their advice and instruction during walks.
The walks below are sub-divided into four grades (Groups A, B+, B, or C). If this is your first time hill walking with us, we suggest you start off with the C group.
|Classification||Effort Level||Distance||Height in Metres||Pace||Duration|
|Grade A||Very Strenuous||15 km - 18km||1000 - 1300m|
|Very Fast||5 hrs|
|Grade B+||Strenuous to Very Strenuous||12km - 15km||800 - 950m||Fast to very Fast||5 hrs|
|Grade B||Strenuous||12 km - 15km||700 - 800m|
(2300 - 3150ft) ascent
|Grade C||Moderate||10 - 12km||500 - 700m|
(1650-2300 ft) ascent
What we ask from our members:
1. For your own safety, take stock of your equipment.
2. Choose the walk most suitable to your fitness level.
3. Observe the country code, ‘Leave No Trace‘ and take ALL litter home.
UK and Ireland authorities are currently adopting ‘Leave No Trace – principles of outdoor ethics’ and the Wee Binnian Walkers are proud to welcome and embrace the new guidelines. These three words leave no doubt about the message. ‘Leave No Trace’ will replace the ‘Country Code’ and offer a broader set of values to cover all aspects of outdoor activities. Please consider these issues, not only on club walks and outings, but in all your outdoor usage. But in the meantime remember – Leave No Trace. The seven principles at the heart of Leave No Trace are:
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimize campfire impacts
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors
For Your Safety and Comfort
The leader can refuse to allow you on the walk if you don’t have the basics. We suggest the minimum requirements to bring with you are:
- Rucksack – Adequate clothing(layers are the best option) Jeans Not Recommended
- Walking Boots (Sandals or Trainers NOT Recommended)
- Hat and gloves
- Raincoat & Waterproof over-trousers/Leggings
- Packed lunch and at least 1 litre water.
We also suggest you should bring:
- Torch (Head Torch is preferable)
- Bivvy Bag
- Extra Batteries
- Basic First Aid (at least plasters & bandages)
- Whistle (Plastic is preferable)
And a few more items which are just good ideas:
- Laminated Map
- Emergency Rations (Just have spare chocolate Bars)
- A Change of Clothing to be left in car.
Please click HERE to read The Wee Binnian’s Privacy notice.